Article

Gibbs Hill Lighthouse

Gibbs Hill Lighthouse (68 St Anne’s Road, Southampton Parish) – Built in 1844, Gibbs Hill Lighthouse is the taller of two lighthouses in Bermuda, and the first of only a few lighthouses in the world to be made of cast-iron. The optic consists of a Fresnel lens from 1904 revolving on steel bearings. However for most of its history, the lens revolved on a bed of 1,200 pounds of mercury. While it is certainly not extremely tall in lighthouse standards, the hill that it stands on is one of the highest on the island, helping attract tourists. At the base of the tower is the Lighthouse Tea Room, a restaurant converted from the lighthouse keeper’s former living quarters, where breakfast, lunch, and dinner are served daily. Admission: $2.50 per person, free for children under 5 years. Hours: 10:00 am – 4:00 pm (daily). Closed on February (for maintenance) and Christmas